A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Sunday, December 09, 2012

Compare and contrast

I uploaded two scrolls that I did for Adamestor's Yule event this weekend to my FB C&I album, and as I was paging down the album to get to the end, one of my earlier photos caught my eye -- I recognized the initial. Sure enough, I looked a bit closer, and it was another scroll that I'd also done on a blank, and it was the same exemplar, and same artist who did the illumination.

So I thought it would be interesting to do a compare and contrast of some collaboration between Sayyida Amal and myself, separated by three years:

Lindquistringes for Chiara degli DanielliAoA for Lorcan Rochford
ChiaraLorcan

I don't actually have the details, but I'm pretty sure I did the calligraphy for Chiara's while at Raglan, which is why it's not very good; I have trouble getting my line widths right when I'm working on the fly. Lorcan's was also rather last minute, but I was able to do it at home, with a bit more time to compose the text and make sure that I had the right line width and pen nib.

Enjoy! It shows how different the same thing can be.

1 comment:

kareina said...

Oddly enough, I like the one done "on the fly" more--the test is larger, less dense, and therefore easier to read. That said, they are both lovely, and worth admiring in their own rights.