A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Monday, January 06, 2014

gild ALL the things!

When I was given a scroll assignment with two month's lead time, I knew immediately that I wanted to push the boat out, to do something that stretched my limits in terms of composition, decoration, calligraphy, and gilding. The scroll was for Lady Efridis who has served as Sven and Siobhan's personal herald for two reigns -- doing an excellent job -- and I wanted it to be something of a personal thank you too, one herald to another.

I ended up using every bit of my two months, completing it New Year's Day. You can read about the step-by-step making of the scroll elsewhere, but here I'll settle for lots and lots of pictures. :)

Because I knew this would be elaborate, I took photos after each stage. It's fun to look back on some of the middle steps -- the garish "blocks of solid color" stage -- and see just how much proper whitework can really deepen and strengthen a scroll.

The gilding on this went so much better than last time. This can be attributed to a number of things: I put down a very thick coat of size, and then let it cure overnight, not beginning the gilding until the next morning. I rehydrated very small portions at a time, and likewise only gilded small portions at a time, overlapping while working on the large blocks, e.g., of the initial. There were some places where it didn't stick as well as I would've liked (such as on the initial), so whenever I had a leftover bit, I'd apply it again to the initial, with the result that eventually all of the holes filled. If you look closely, you can see that there are rough and uneven spots -- but most people won't be looking closely, because they'll be blinded by the shine!

And now for some close-ups:

Close-up of the initial.

Bottom left-hand corner with Albion's head.

Upper right-hand corner with some of the in-text initials.

Floral border

Bottom border with Queen's edelweiss and Albion's head

No comments: