A place for Drachenwald's scribes to hang out, learn, discuss and critique each others work.

Monday, February 10, 2014

sealing the deal

One of the cool things about scrolls is sometimes getting to add seals to them. As signet Clerk I get to use one of the Kingdom seals for this purpose.Here are two examples of scrolls which were designed to have a seal attached. The first one if a Court Barony for Gottfried Killianus the scroll is done by Lady Arianhrod.







The second piece is work by Mistress Genevieve for Marcus von Stormarn and it is a Grant of Arms.





The seals were done in steps. First I make a beeswax cup using an old glass jar lid as a mould. Once the wax has hardened and is removed from the mould it is a nice smooth disc. I then use a potter's tool to carve away the wax from the center out to form a cup. The next step is to cut away the wax to make a small channel for the strip or the small weave that will hold the seal to the scroll.  Once this is done I can then melt more bees wax, add a tiny amount of dry red pigment to the mix. I then pour this into the cup and wait until the wax forms a skin, once it is semi hardened I then use the seal and apply a light pressure as too much will make wax squirt out and / or break the whole thing. Then I let everything dry and harden in a cool place away from the sunlight.




No comments: